Microsoft have announced end life of Windows server 2008 which is January 14, 2020 and after this, they will not release any security patches. So you can use windows server 2008 at your own risk after this. But you may face many security related issues. So plan to migration your server from 2008 to 2012 or 2016. Microsoft have released windows server 2019 also.
What will be happen with windows server 2008 after January 14, 2020?
- No security patches will update from Microsoft.
- Server Security layer we broke.
- An attackers may enter in your server and hack your data.
- Server may be effect with many vulnerabilities.
- Some error may be come in application roles and feature.
Plan to move windows server from 2008 to 2012?
Windows server 2012 was released on September 4, 2012 with many features which was missed in windows server 2008.
- Hyper V – Hyper V 2.0 is available in windows server 2008 but in windows server 2012, Hyper V 3.0 is available with some more feature.
- Migration – You can do live migration in windows server 2012 and move running VM from one Hyper-V server to another Hyper-V server.
- Snapshot Merging – You can do VM snapshot merging in running stage which was not available in windows server 2008.
- IIS – IIS 8 in 2012 and IIS 8.5 in 2012 R2 is available for web server with some more features which was not available in IIS 7 or IIS 7.5 like, Process Throttling, Centralized certificate management etc.
- Direct Access – Microsoft was introduce direct access first time with windows 2008 but in 2012, it’s much easier for use.
- Address Management – IP address management (IPAM) role is available in windows server 2012 for discovering, monitoring, auditing and managing network’s IP address space.
Upgrade windows server 2008 Server with 2012
If you are using windows server 2008 server then you have to upgrade with 2008 R2 first. After that, you can upgrade with 2012. You can see here version upgrade availability.
|Current Version||Upgrade to 2008 R2||Upgrade to 2012|
|Windows Server 2008||Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard||Windows Server 2012 Standard, Datacenter|
|Windows Server 2008||Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise||Windows Server 2012 Datacenter|
|Windows Server 2008||Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter||Windows Server 2012 Datacenter|
Windows Server 2012 System Requirements
|Processor||1.4GHZ 64-bit||2GHZ or faster dual core||Not applicable|
|Memory||512MB RAM||2GB RAM or greater||32GB RAM Standard Edition4TB RAM Datacenter Edition|
|Disk space||32GB||40GB Full installation or 10GB Server Core installation||Not applicable|
Update your windows server 2008 before end of support life and secure your infra from mentioned issues.